[TR] Flat towing a TR3

DAVID MASSEY dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Mar 29 05:35:49 MDT 2019

 The problem is the main shaft turns with the driveshaft but the layshaft and the gears turn with the engine.  When the engine is turning the lay shaft is slinging oil all about inside the gearbox lubricating everything.  When the engine is not turning there is no lubrication action and if the mainshaft is turning but the layshaft is not and there is no lubrication the bronze bushings upon which the gears ride will wear.
Some have said to overfill the transmission to the point that at least part of the mainshaft is submerged things will be fine.
Others have said they have towed many, many miles without problems.  That has not been my experience.  But I wonder if having an overdrive fitted changes everything.  The OD clutch extends below the oil level and will fling oil all about and it turns with driveshaft so its action should, in theory, supply enough lubrication to the rest of the transmission to keep things lubricated.
I guess you could stop every 15 minutes or so and start the engine and let it run for a minute to lub things up.  Or just let the engine idle for the whole trip.

But to be on the safe side, disconnect the driveshaft.

Dave