[TR] Flat towing a TR3

Art McEwen amcewen2 at cogeco.ca
Thu Mar 28 13:43:04 MDT 2019

I read somewhere where this wasn't possible without disconnecting the driveshaft due to, I think, a bearing in the gearbox or O/D that doesn't get lubricated without the gearbox in gear. But I've also read reports of Kas Kasner and his contemporaries routinely flat towing to the race track. Which is true? Both? Neither? Or is Kas forgetting he used to disconnect the driveshaft at the end of the weekend?

I've seen several MGBs (different gearbox design?) and MX5s being flat towed behind RVs, I know the MX5 manual says it's a no-no.

Just wondering.

Art '60 TR3A.