[TR] What is the knock?

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 07:39:43 MDT 2019

On 6/23/19 6:11 AM, Wbeech at flash.net wrote:
> Good ideas Teriann but it does sound like a rod bearing.
>
> Set the hand brake, put the car in 2nd or 3rd gear and try to go.
>  Does the knock get more pronounced?   Yes, it’s a rod.
A cracked pushrod cup will do the same. My 3 had one when I purchased
her. I had just about decided to go through the engine when I pulled the
valve cover and noticed an oil line on the outside of a cup. Turned out
to be the seam of a crack. The cup opened up under pressure and sounded
just like a top end rod bearing.