[TR] what type of prop shaft to get

Sujit Roy triumphstag at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 17:23:06 MDT 2019

I took two prop shafts for a manual Stag to get balanced. The guy at the
shop said the splines are worn and it can’t be balanced. He said he can
make me a new custom one for 500$. The new one will use UJs The shop has
been around for years and they balanced my BW35 auto one many years back.

LDParts has a prop shaft for sale. It is fitted with universal joints.
Rimmer Bros. sells a prop shaft fitted with CV joints. With shipping to the
USA, I can get either shipped for less than $300.

While talking this guy, he said don’t get the one with the CV joints. CV
joints are not suited for prop shafts. I didn’t probe why but am curious if
there is any truth to what he said.

With the rate of exchange between the UKP and US$ being the way it is I’m
hedging to get one with CV shipped from Rimmers

Have others in the US got a prop shaft custom made? If so, what is a
typical cost?

Regards, Sujit

--
Sujit Roy