[TR] Fuel pump oops

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Sat Jul 13 09:53:31 MDT 2019

The discussion of electric fule pumps brought to mind a VTR convention
some years ago, 2001? in Breckenridge, Colorado.  I attended with the
Killer Spit.  The autocross was supposed to be held at a big parking
lot, local high school I think, but something happened and it was held
at one of the host hotel lots. Shucks, having a senior moment.  The guy
behind Council of Motorsports Clubs, who was living in Colorado, and
whose name just slipped my mind was responsible for the autocross.  Near
the end I offered to let him take Killer around the course, he jumped at
the chance.

So he goes roaring off, having a great time.  About 15 seconds into his
run I thought "Did I turn on the fule pump?"  Seconds later, the car
wheezes to a stop.  Yep, I forgot to tell him to turn on the fuel pump.
He did get a chance to do a full run a bit later.  I felt pretty
embarrassed.  I was actually a bit embarrassed about my performance, I
hit a LOT of cones, something I didn't usually do.  I shrugged it off,
thinking I just had a bad day.  It wasn't until the drive home that I
got to thinking about it, and realized the the VTR meet was like the
second event with the new wheels.  I went from 6" Keizers to 8".  The
backspacing was the same, so the wheels stuck out 2 inches more on each
side. So Killer was effectively 4 inches wider, and I had not yet
adjusted to it.   So when I thought I was turning just a fraction of
inch around a cone, I was actually closer than I thought so whack!

Still that was a fun event, and I think it may have been the last VTR
annual convention I attended, ending my streak of 12 in a row.

I got to get back at it!

mjb.

ps:  Killer still loks like this.  Sigh.