[TR] Stag, rover v 8

Bill Beecher bill_beecher at flash.net
Tue Jul 9 10:33:52 MDT 2019

Thank you Glenn, as I get a little farther down the road I may take you up on those pictures.
From all the comments this seems like a very doable install.
Cheers,
Bill

On Jul 9, 2019, at 10:30 AM, Glenn A. Merrell <controls at freelanceconsulting.net> wrote:

Bill,

When I did my Stag on my Rover V8, I converted from the York Borg Warner piston compressor to a rotary.  I think I used a 5 cubic inch rotary which uses about 2 hp compared to the York consumes almost 20 hp.
I used the stock evaporator box in the stag, stock expansion valve on the evaporator, but converted to new barrier hoses and O ring seals.
There are adapters to go from the Expansion valve compression connection to O ring seal type.  I also replaced the Condenser and dryer rated for 134A  that all used O ring type connections.

It was difficult, and after following the online advice of Vintage Air I found an automotive AC supplier locally and sourced all the hose and connectors and provided all the rest of the information I needed.

Then I measured and fit each hoses in their location,, marked the orientations on the hoes and connectors,  took the connectors and hoses back to the supplier who swaged the connections to the new barrier hose for free since I bought the hose and connectors from them.

Vintage Air sells a wide range of adapter brackets, even an adapter bracket for the Stag York aluminum  Bracket, but I found it was a stronger and less cost solution to have a bracket custom fabricated from 3/8 steel plate to hold the new rotary compressor after looking at the various brackets available online.

I might have some photos, I’ll try to locate those.
Cheers!

Glenn Merrell
+1 (303) 817-8559 mobile
aka StagByTriumph Garage (now on FaceBook)
Remember, “the BEST trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone chips in the paint; and DEAD BUGS on the windscreen … with the occasional smell of manure!”