[TR] Spring Time in the Smith Garage

TERRY SMITH terryrs at comcast.net
Fri Jul 5 15:43:31 MDT 2019

Spark issue is solved (bad electronic ignition).  Resulting overheating problem is solved (timing/mixture issue).  Yet driving an hour in today's heat, the temp needle stayed normal, but the car was a trifle slow to start when I got back to it.  Put the pedal all the way down and it fired up, but engine fluttered at low RPM's until I'd reved it for a short time.  Sounds like classic vapor lock.  Afterwards, the car runs smooth and with great power and acceleration, except idle moves a bit up and down and engine stumbles sometimes at low RPM.  When I got home I pulled the plugs and found no black, so apparently I'm not running too rich.  Two questions:

One:  the obvious.  Pulling the air cleaners off, I found I'd forgotten to put the springs back on that hold the jet assembly to the carb.  Duh.  So what are the symptoms of that, other than low scores on IQ tests?

Two:  the probably obvious.  I'd rerouted the fuel lines under the hood.  They now go over the thermostat area.  I've encased the tubing in slitted fuel line to give them some insulation, but it hasn't solved what seems to be vapor lock.  I do have the aftermarket insulative plate under the carbs to bank heat off the manifold.  I have a fan I could install that might bring the temp down after engine shutdown but that seems a cheating type fix.

Three:  the awful.  It could be a vacuum leak, I suppose.  Please, nobody suggest it is because then it might be true....ugh.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A

New Hampshire