[TR] Route 66

dave dave at ranteer.com
Thu Jan 31 12:13:41 MST 2019

We just drove route 66 from Shamrock, TX, to Tucumcari, NM.

Shamrock is pretty interesting; it has the building that was the inspiration
for the auto repair shop in the movie Cars (see attached)

Tucumcari is also pretty interesting; I highly recommend the blue swallow
motel; it is an original motor court - it has little garages next to your
room, perfect for an LBC

btw there is almost nothing of Route 66 across the Texas panhandle.  We even
stopped in Adrian, TX, the midpoint of Route 66, featuring the Midpoint
Café.  Big nothing.

Our little group is planning to run Route 66 across Oklahoma in the fall of
2020.  It goes though Oklahoma City and Tulsa; there's a lot there.

Years ago we stopped at the Wigwam Motel
http://galerie-kokopelli.com/wigwam/  in Holbrook, AZ.  Fantastic place and
well worth seeing/spending the night there.

In Joliet, IL (suburb f Chicago) there is a statue of Jake and Elmo (Blues
Brothers)