[TR] TR 250 (TR4) Cruise control

Rye Livingston ryel at mac.com
Wed Jan 30 15:36:38 MST 2019

On my 1982 Toyota Land Cruiser that came from Australia with a diesel engine, it came from the factory with a manual throttle, which I use at start up, and also on the freeway.  My son installed one on his Toyota pickup truck, and then installed the same kind on my TR3.

It's not an official cruise control, meaning it will turn off if/when I tap the brakes, and it won't accelerate when going up a hill. But when I'm on the freeway I can set the manual throttle at 65 or 70 mph, and away I go.

This can in extremely handy in 2017 when I drove from California back to Arizona for Triumphest.  And last year I drove up the coast to Salem Oregon for the All Triumph Drive In.  I tend to use it for short periods of time, 5-10 mins, so I can move around and stretch my legs, etc.

Also I should add, I only use it when I'm not in a lot of traffic, which is similar to a new cruise control.  I always have plenty of time to turn it off when I'm approaching slower cars or what ever.

I wrote an article about it for our club newsletter with photos.  If anyone wants that I can send it to you directly.

Rye
PH: 530-FIND-RYE