[TR] Paint code

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Thu Jan 17 07:27:26 MST 2019

Jim

In the rebuild of your car, did you by chance find any obscure markings in yellow or white chinagraph chalk on the engine block? These were common identifiers used at the factory that were understood by those who worked in engine assembly – but no-one else. Primarily, the mark was to distinguish the machined but unassembled block as being an ultimate engine for a North America spec car. Not all the blocks had these marks but I do know many others have encountered them years later and wondered what the hell they were. Being anxious to replicate what had been there after re-painting the block, they replaced the code. I’d be very surprised if TRA or VTR have extra marks in their judging books – or even deduct marks if they weren’t there.

Cheers, Jonmac