[TR] TR3 suspension

DAVID MASSEY dave1massey at cs.com
Wed Jan 16 06:00:44 MST 2019

 Any more, I think most shops use a water based cleaner but in the old days parts cleaners used Stoddard solvent which is a type of mineral spirit.  Some of the fancier cleaners used a distillation unit to distill clean solvent from the dirty making for a smaller volume of solvent to be disposed.  It is considered a hazardous waste and should be returned to a hazardous waste drop-off.  I'm sure there is an active market in recycling solvent where large operators pick up old solvent, distill it to recover clean solvent and sell that back to the users.

If time allows, small users can let the dissolved contaminants settle out and pour off the clear solvent for reuse.  The residue can be allowed to evaporate leaving the grease and what-not behind.  You are still left with disposing of this in a responsible manner but the volume is much much less.
I'm sure there are those who dispose of it in an irresponsible manner.

Dave