[TR] [EXTERNAL] - Re: Is this a problem?

David Templeton davidt at opentext.com
Mon Jan 14 10:14:23 MST 2019

I'm a bit confused, which can usually be traced back to me.

That is my story with this one LOL

So are you saying that you have a grease leak inside the drum, then found a cracked brake line to the wheel cylinder that you think might be the culprit instead of an axle seal?

Well that is the problem 😊  I have the axle out to check the seal.  See the “spot” under the rear wheel in this picture https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155577606871960&l=16cbeeecbe  And the axle after the cleanup https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155781072381960&l=0433a09d11  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155781072396960&l=b79a653eb0 I also needed to clean up the back plate before removing so seeing where it was coming from was challenging.  There was no arrow pointing “right here stupid!!!” I could see LOL

If I'm reading this right, it sounds like you have two separate issues.  Brake fluid might mix with brake dust but you likely can tell the difference between that and grease, which means your original assessment of a bad seal is correct.

At this point, I am not sure it matters.  The seals have been “standing” for 12yrs and since I need to bleed the brakes, and replace the line anyways, might as well do them.  They are cheap and easy to do.  But I am not 100% sure where the stain came from now.  When I pulled the axle, it was still nicely packed with grease, there were no metal fragments I could find and it didn’t smell burnt etc.  So I am going with, clean, replace as needed rebuild.

I'm doing exactly this same thing right now, replacing the inner and outer axle seals and the bearing on each rear side, then doing the brake lines while I'm in there, so I'll be interested in what you find.
The one thing I did find interesting is that the shims have a little bit oxidation on them.  Now could that lead to anything, not entirely sure.  I would be surprised though