[TR] 71 GT6 (TR-6, TR250 similar?) gulp valve (PCV system) - too much vacuum

aribert neumann aribertn at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 19:44:45 MST 2019

Greetings all:

While replacing the hose to the gulp valve (I think this is the name for
the PCV device, mine has a flat top with a steel plate that is clipped to
the valve housing) the valve plate retainer wire popped off and I managed
to loose the detail under the diaphram (part that distributes the spring
force to the underside to the diaphram).  This part is presumed lost
somewhere on top of the trans.  Was unable to find it using mirrors,
flashlights, flexible pick-up claws and even an endoscope.  I tried to
substitute a fender washer for the missing part.  The valve is not
functioning properly and there appears to be excessive vacuum in the
engine.  At idle the engine makes a chirping sound - when I remove the oil
filler cap the sound goes away.  Here is a short video clip of the sound:
https://youtu.be/xAt-hJltmfQ   About half way thru the video when I remove
the filler cap one can hear the air inrush.  Not on the video, when the
enigne is rev'ed up the chirp becomes a continuous sound.

Originality is not a requirement for this vehicle.  I am guessing that the
missing part is not something I can buy by itself- that I would need to buy
an entire gulp valve. Before I try to find a gulp valve, has anyone used a
more modern PCV valve instead of the gulp valve?  If so, how did it work?
Did you need to do anything other than fitting the PCV valve between the
two hoses?   What valve (from what donor vehicle) did you use?  TIA