[TR] manual gearbox alignment bolts TR6 /Stag

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Feb 15 13:38:48 MST 2019

The TR6 parts catalog is somewhat confusing, as it has both listed.  Make of
that what you will; but since TR2-4A did use a dowel, it seems likely to me
that someone deliberately added the dowel bolt and missed removing the
earlier dowel entry.  (One is under the engine section, the other in the
gearbox section.)  My take is that changing to the bolt was part of the
changes to make that joint stronger (the casting also got beefed up in that
area).

Although the bellhousing is similar between TR6 and Stag, on the TR6 those
bolts go through the steel engine back plate; while the Stag has a thicker
alloy "flywheel housing".  Thus, the Stag dowel bolts are supposed to be
slightly longer than TR6.

I couldn't locate any at the time (except for vendors trying to sell
ordinary bolts instead of the precision shank ones), so I made my own.  3/8"
precision "drill rod" is readily available from sources like McMaster-Carr
and not terribly expensive.  (A 3' section of 3/8" O1 drill rod is under $10
at MMC.)  I just cut some sections to length, and threaded both ends for
nuts.  The rod is supplied annealed, so it's not too difficult to thread.
You'll want a good sharp die, though, even annealed that tool steel is tough
stuff.

If you want, you can then harden it; but I didn't bother.

Dowels are still readily available, from the usual suspects or from MMC.
TRF P/N DP612

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild