[TR] I'm in love with my car

Andrew Uprichard auprichard at uprichard.net
Sun Feb 10 12:56:03 MST 2019

While finishing off an engine rebuild on one of my TR3s I heard "I'm in love
with my car" by Queen.  Although I remembered it from years ago, I thought
"what a cool song", especially the line "it's a disease, man"

So I looked it up.  What do you know - it was inspired by one of the band's
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_crew> roadies, Johnathan Harris, whose
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_TR4> Triumph TR4 was evidently the
"love of his life".

These cars have their personalities, and can certainly drive you to drink on
occasions.  But when all is said and done, there is no doubt that an
affection grows for these aging pieces of British engineering.  Love?  Not
sure, but when after a complete rebuild my car fired right up, great oil
pressure, great idle, I patted it on the fender and thanked it.

Andrew Uprichard

Jackson, Michigan