[TR] FW: auto fan controllers

Anthony Rhodes spamiam at comcast.net
Fri Aug 30 04:10:49 MDT 2019

I agree with Randall's approach.  The goal is to avoid "overheating", not to keep the temp "normal".

So it does a OK to let it run as high as possible subject to the limit that it  never runs into the "red" zone.   And then it should run only long enough to bring the temp down a bit.

As Randall said, the fan will suck lots of power and it is good to minimize its appetite.

My daily driver has an electric coolant pump.  Not something that I am particularly thrilled about since it can and does fail....  but the controller appears to be "smart".  I noticed that when I step hard on the throttle, the coolant temperature goes DOWN briefly.  The controller seems to anticipate extra thermal load and increases the flow rate.   I certainly hope the thermostat isn't "smart" too but I suppose that with a sufficiently smart pump then a thermostat isn't even necessary!!!!!   I don't know for sure if that engine HAS a thermostat.

-Tony

Sent from my 1837 Babbage Analytical Engine