[TR] Will a 'out-of-spot' tappet necessarily be higher, like this?

Paul Dorsey dorpaul1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 13:50:17 MDT 2018

I received my new pushrod from Moss last night and was impressed, it looks
the same length as stock, but was slightly heavier by weight.  Others had
forewarned that it might be chinese, and it could still be, although I
don't know what would ever tell me if that were an issue.

Right now, my emphasis is on getting the thing running. something it hasn't
done in years. I remember saying that I had seen one pushrod in particular
had non-concentric circles appearing down the pushrod tubes  and I surmised
that this must be what everyone informed me must be an out of spot tappet
that I had been warned about. Trouble is: I forgot to write down which one
of the eight pushrod tubes that I had seen it in.
I also might have worked that tappet over and in-line with the tube such
that it now has the proper concentric circles.  On thing I do know for
sure, is that one particular tappet causes it's pushrod to set a couple of
inches higher ( as shown in the pic).  How do I get that tappet down? I
slightly hit it's pushrod with my palm, but it would not drop down.  I do
have an extra pushrod if others think I ought to tap it down using a
pushrod,  Heck, I proably could use the old bent pushrod which I have now
replaced, to tap it in place.  I just don't want to attempt this unless
others give me a green light.
Thanks, Paul Dorsey  aka RUSTY ACRES
Paul Dorsey <dorpaul1 at gmail.com>
1:32 PM (1 hour ago)