[TR] Runs hot

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Sep 29 20:07:26 MDT 2018

> I've been driving the TR3a lately in NJ and NY. Always
> traffic and the temperature climbs.  Anything I can do to
> keep it down?  Any additives?  Better radiator fluid?  Should
> I check anything that could be causing this?

Unfortunately, there are many possibilities.  The TR cooling system is also
kind of marginal in stop-and-go traffic, so what you are seeing may be
normal.

One thing that may help is to run less anti-freeze.  Using 2:1
water/antifreeze will still provide freeze protection down to 0F (-18C), but
better heat transfer than the recommended 50/50.

Make sure your cardboard shroud (between grill and radiator) is in place.

Check your grille against the dimensions here:
http://www.tr3a.info/FAQ_grill.html

Redline "Water wetter" may also help.

What many folks have done is modify the car to create more airflow when not
moving (or moving slowly).  Using a plastic fan with more pitch from a later
Triumph is popular; or what I did was to remove the mechanical fan and
install an electric fan in its place.  (I made a few other mods, but IMO the
fan was the magic bullet.)

-- Randall