[TR] Ccs or CW? Metric or Sae?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Sep 27 06:45:25 MDT 2018

> I've never asked, is it OK to turn the engine with the
> crankshaft bolt and turn it clockwise    And anti-clockwise?
>
> Also, is  they  Triumph  metric or Sae?  I know my Sae
> wrenches work on it, but maybe the threads and other stuff is metric?

Turning it in the direction of normal rotation should be fine.  (Clockwise
if you are standing in front looking back at the engine.)  Turning it the
other way risks having the bolt come loose, but will usually be fine.

But it's tight quarters down there, I find it a lot easier to either turn it
with the starter (the rubber button on the starter solenoid makes this
easy); or put it in gear and push the car a little.

The engine itself is all SAE threads (both fine and coarse).  However, there
are some British threads (and wrench sizes) on accessories like the starter,
generator and carburetors.  The only metric threads I can think of offhand
are the overdrive switches.

-- Randall