[TR] Octane

Creig Houghtaling creig555 at live.com
Mon Sep 24 17:20:44 MDT 2018

Terry,

I think Geo has the best answer here.  Try regular and listen for knocking.  No knocking, all is good, don't worry about it.  (That last sentence is strictly my opinion!!! Get information from others who know more to come to your own conclusion.)  Compression is what causes knocking.  But compression ratio of the engine is not the bottom line.  The actual compression you get in the cylinder and when your spark plug fires is the bottom line for knocking.  Modern engines run higher than 9:1 compression ratio and run fine on regular gas.  That's because with modern electronics the ignition can be adjusted on the fly.  With these old engines, the cam also plays a major roll in how much compression you actually have in your cylinder.  If you have 2 engines with the same compression ratio, a mild cam can run well on regular gas and a hotter cam will knock on regular gas.  That is because the mild cam is opening and closing at different positions in the stroke compared to a hotter cam allowing for lower total compression of the gases in the cylinder.  Compared to the hotter cam.

Creig