[TR] New but cheap 20 W 50 Motor oil

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Sep 21 13:46:39 MDT 2018

> I suspect that Quaker State then was still using refinery
> feedstock from
> Pennsylvania (these were the days of peak oil, after all), and

Indeed, they used to brag about "Pennsylvania grade crude oil".  I've also
heard that it is high in paraffin content (heavier fractions that are solid
at room temperature) and thought that might have something to do with sludge
formation.

At any rate, I'll never forget scraping that stuff out with a putty knife.
I've been using Valvoline ever since, and I've never seen anything like it.

-- Randall