[TR] Original Paint

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Tue Sep 18 05:56:10 MDT 2018

Until about 1972, the paint used by Standard-Triumph was what the factory called a "High Bake Cellulose" and this was different to the conventional cellulose used in the late 1940's to early 1960's. From about 1972 onwards, the paint formula changed to a "High Bake Synthetic" (factory name) and was essentially water based. Pinchin and Johnson who made the stuff tried very hard to improve it over the next few years but this coincided with major industrial relations issues in the UK steel industry that affected supplies of raw materials to the car makers. German and French steel was too expensive and the bean counters opted for Italian steel that was significantly cheaper and soon manifested its poor quality and tendency for premature rusting. Although I no longer have a classic car myself, if I was in the market for one, it would be pre-1972 manufacture and with High Bake Cellulose paint and my former Triumph 2000 saloon and 2.5PI saloon both came into that category.
As for cleaning, I'd recommend a typical cleaner to lift off the accumulated filth and wax, then use a claybar to shift the rest and finally follow up with a high quality carnauba wax. Just be careful with the vigour you use with the cleaner and claybar as that paint top coat is very thin and you might suddenly encounter a piece of shiny steel with FIAT written on it😊

Jonmac