[TR] Biggest bang for the buck, Two categories

TERRY SMITH terryrs at comcast.net
Sun Sep 16 07:12:10 MDT 2018

Hi, Paul.  Opinions here will vary, I'm sure, but in the end pretty much are determined by what your goals for the car are.

My end goal is a daily driver that's reliable with the least maintenance.  Keeping in mind that others enjoy the maintenance, I went with a Petronics electronic ignition because I didn't want to track the condition of point contacts and whether the bumper that rides on the distributor lobe is wearing.  With Petronics, there's no bumper and the points don't wear out or work their way out of adjustment.  My experience is that the Pertronics are much more reliable.  I've run mine daily for about 8 or 9 years with no issues.

In terms of positive ground to negative ground, I swapped to negative ground from the beginning.  I don't remember why, but probably just because it was easier to remember since that's how all my other vehicles run.

And in terms of a lighter fly wheel, I put this in a category of "it might be fun to try," but I've never felt the urge as outweighed by the effort.  And too my stock flywheel runs just fine.  Acceleration in the TR3 is plenty fast without it.  But if racing--that is, "spirited driving"--is  a goal, then go for it.

Overall I came to the conclusion 15 years ago when I did it, that a frame-off restoration is a desperate enough enterprise without the additional variables of deviating from stock.  Then once the car was on the road, I began to consider things like an alternator conversion, Pertronics, and so on.

YOMV and all that.

Terry