[TR] Serious rocker arm misalignment with pishrod

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Sep 10 13:44:21 MDT 2018

> would be the time to check if that pushrod was straight.  But
> to be careful not to dislodge it's tappet.  Question: isin't
> the tappet held in place?  How could it be dislodged?
> Maybe my biggest challenge is remembering how to set the
> valves after this.  Isin't there an accepted procedure of how
> to do this somewhere on the internet? What about a list of
> torque settings?

The tappet rides in a bore in the block; the pushrod is the only thing that
keeps it from coming up out of the bore.  If you lift the pushrod rapidly,
the puddle of oil in the lifter can cause it to come up with the pushrod.
Then it falls off, but lands sideways and won't go back into the bore.

I have managed to fiddle them back into place, but usually the head has to
come off.

Torque settings (most of them) in the front of the workshop manual.  The PDF
version I linked to before also has a service note (but I think it has all
the same torque values).

-- Randall