[TR] 61 TR3A SU H6 Carb Issues

ptegler at verizon.net ptegler at verizon.net
Tue Oct 16 10:27:12 MDT 2018

agreed.... especially considering that no one stated the human ear was 'better' than an instrument. BUT.....
Take a look at any procedure for multiple carbs (greater than two)   EG: quads on a bike or 8/12 carbs on a Ferrari. ...even three DCOEs on a Triumph 6
NONE suggest a flow meter blocking the intake.  On most bike engines you use multiple water columns via taps on the sides of the carbs specifically designed to facilitate balancing. Compared to most LBC's none have a balance port in the intake manifold so no 'cross contamination ' from air flow via another carb. Block one of four bike carbs and the engine will slow very noticeably.

sure the 'premise' is you block both carbs (one at a time) but neither is 'as is' when running. When you place the meter over the carb throat you change the depression and running position of the piston in the throat.  Air volume vs velocity is changed...effecting the carb operations, both air AND fuel.  when you slow down the air velocity it doesn't pull as much fuel, and starts consuming air from the other carb via the balance port in the manifold etc etc.

You need to use whatever method best suites your sensibilities. As too the repercussions of you procedures. Each case is different, each case has different expediencies, habits and results   :-)

ptegler