[TR] Choke cables

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Tue Nov 6 08:51:31 MST 2018

FWIW on this issue, Randall's observations of the positioning of the choke
levers is obviously relevant. However, it's worth commenting that in the dim
and distant past when your cars were new, the choke cable supplier(s) for
probably any British car with a manual choke, supplied them fully lubed with
a lightweight grease to overcome the friction between the inner wire and
outer sheath. I've many memories of cars at their 1,000 mile service with a
'gunge' around the outer cable where engine heat had partly melted the
grease. Both my (now former) Triumphs had agonisingly stiff choke cables and
I bought replacements - which of course came without an inner lube. A few
minutes spent with a can of spray grease and one of those narrow WD40 type
delivery pipes into both ends of the outer sheath will make an amazing
difference. Finally, blow through one end of the sheath to get rid of the
excess. The same applies to rev counter and speedo drive cables except in
their case you put a small amount of engine oil in the palm of your hand and
rub it up and down the full length of the flexidrive before re-assembly.

Jonmac

---