[TR] Purolater Oil Control Head

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat May 26 23:57:35 MDT 2018

The adjustable "relief" valve limits oil pressure to the galleries; the
fixed "bypass" valve limits the pressure drop across the filter element.

If the output to the galleries rises above 75 psi or so, the relief valve
opens and allows the excess oil to flow back to the pan.

If the filter element gets clogged (or is otherwise unable to pass enough
flow to keep the pressure drop low enough), the bypass opens and passes
unfiltered oil to the galleries.  This (fixed) pressure is fairly low,
something like 5 or 10 psi.

One of the oddities of the TR3-4 engine is that the pressure shown on the
gauge is taken off before the filter element.  So the pressure you see may
be higher than the actual pressure in the oil galleries.

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild