[TR] rear oil seal conversion

Dave dlhogye at comcast.net
Wed Mar 14 19:22:00 MDT 2018

The stock crank is good beyond regular 6000 revs.  6500 on the over rev, if it is machine with the correct radius on the journals, balanced and nitrided.  I have good experience with this and learned the facts from experts.  The rods are the weaker link, but if they are crack checked and balanced, they should be good to 5500.  They are designed for 5-5500 stock.  Kas Kastner used all factory parts in his factory team cars for years, because those were the rules, and his drivers certainly revved them well beyond 5500.  The rods are known to break at the oil hole in the middle of the length of the rod.  The hole provide lubrication to the piston skirt and liner.  In the past, for racing, the holes were welded up to prevent failure there.   Carrillo rods, or something similar from a quality supplier are great insurance for a performance build.
The seal shouldn't need to be changed, unless during set up or other reasons it is leaking badly.  Of course, if the engine is apart, always replace.
The newer seal design is superior and the scroll doesn't need to be machined off the crank.  It combines the original crank seal design, with a groove machined for a Viton radial oil seal.  So far, they have excellent results eliminating rear seal leaks.

Rev on,
Dave H.

Sent from my iPad