[TR] Generator not generating/Final Chapter

wbeech wbeech at flash.net
Mon Mar 12 15:21:05 MDT 2018

Thank you all for your input I performed the following with these results,
perhaps this can help someone else down the road.
1. With a jumper between the  "A" & "F" terminals I connected 12v power to
the jumper and to ground: Result was that the generator started and ran like
a motor very nice an smooth if not real fast.
2. With the jumpers still attached I put a voltmeter in place of the power
leads, jumper & ground and spun with my impact driver: Result was but 5v
3. Per Randall's instruction I checked the resistance of the field and
armature coils: Result was 1∩ at the armature and 3∩ at the field(should
be 6∩ at field)
4. Pulled the end cover and tested the field again: Result was 6∩,
Hmmm.....
5. Further interior inspection revealed the connecting wires between the
field coils were touching the long bolts when the unit was assembled: Very
carefully moved these to the side watching that they did not interfere with
the armature.
6. Reassembled and re-tested the field: Results 6∩....YIPPEEEE!
7. Spun it with my driver and still only got to 11v: Remembered what Randall
said about its dubious speed
8. Spun it again with my regular 110v drill: Result this time was watching
it climb to 15v before shutting is down.
9. Oh yes, the threads on the end of the armature were also stripped: Result
was to grind it a little and re-tap to 3/8"

Happy camper, now on to more fun stuff!

All the best,
Bill B