[TR] TR3A Radiator Fan

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 10:15:54 MDT 2018

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 1:48 PM, Jim Henningsen <trguy75 at gmail.com> wrote:

1961 TR3A, stock motor setup, with stock radiator that includes crank hole.
> My temp even on a 68 degree day in Florida today runs at the mark between
> 185 and 230.  Assume 200 or a little higher?...

In my opinion you have a problem that no fan will solve.

I routinely drive my TR3A (with a crank hole) in 100+ temps with no
overheating or even the high temps you are seeing under much cooler
conditions.  But I have cleaned out the block, re-cored the radiator,
mostly blocked the bypass, have a Tropical Fan and added an air-dam.

Some of those steps may be uneccessary but I suspect the radiator core
and/or accumulation of crud in the block may be at the heart of the issue.

Also worthwhile to verify that your gauge is being truthful - get a second
opinion with an IR thermometer.

Geo