[TR] fuel gauge, 72 Stag

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Mar 2 18:25:12 MST 2018

> My fuel gauge always reads full when I know its not. Any advice to trouble
> shoot/diagnose would be appreciated

I would start by taking the wire off the sender on top of the tank.  If the
gauge still goes to full with the wire disconnected, there is probably a
short somewhere between there and the gauge (or perhaps inside the gauge).
But if it now stays at empty, the sender is probably shorted.

You didn't say if it still reads full even when the tank is nearly empty.
If it seems to just be reading about 1/4 tank too high, your voltage
stabilizer may have failed.  To check that, connect a voltmeter (or even a
test light will do in a pinch) from the disconnected sender wire to a good
ground.  If you see a constant 12v, the stabilizer is bad.  If it flashes on
and off; or stays at a constant 10v, the stabilizer is working OK.

-- Randall