[TR] OD Oil

Reihing, Randall S. Randall.Reihing at utoledo.edu
Wed Jun 20 13:45:06 MDT 2018

I have been retired too long. Discussions like this recover old memories, a good thing. I recall testing the viscosity of 90 wt gear oil using a Saybolt Viscosimeter and a calibrated Saybolt furol and comparing that to the viscosity of 10W-30 and straight 30 wt. They were surprisingly close in actual viscosity at 70 F.  It is the additives that make the difference and anyone who does the research will realize that 90 wt. gearbox oil and 10W-30 03 stright 30 wt.non-detergent motor oil may look alike and pour alike but they are very different beasts.

Then I recalled that no matter what was in my TR3 gearbox, it was always a little slow shifting that thing on really cold, 0F mornings. Sort of like me, when I was brave (dumb) enough to take a spin down the lane by our home, laughing all the way I enjoyed it so much. It was actually exhilarating until I came to the realization I was several miles from home and freezing ass cold, having left the top and the side curtains in the garage. It was still fun and I would do it again although I have found snowmobile gloves to be very nice for that kind of ride. Along with earmuffs and an Arctic rated parka too.

Randall Reihing
1959  TR3A