[TR] TR4 turn signal & OD switch positions

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Fri Jun 8 07:31:47 MDT 2018

On 6/8/2018 7:03 AM, Geo Hahn wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 1:28 AM, Michael Porter <mdporter at dfn.com
> <mailto:mdporter at dfn.com>> wrote:
>

>     Having done technical publications for well more than a decade,
>     that's probably not exactly what happened.  The photo shows LHD,
>     not RHD, but, maybe the RHD negative was reversed to save time...
>

> I wondered about that, then saw that it is clearly a separate photo
> for LHD - noting the orientation of the speedo & tach needles, pedal
> and dipper positions and even a different ashtray.

All of which can be done by paste-up on a reversed negative.  You'd be
surprised what happens when there's little time available, and paste-up
would have been the standard process at that time--that's how the arrows
are put into the photo, for example.

I'm not saying that's exactly how it happened.  The original is of low
enough quality to make analysis impossible. But, I've done enough of it
to know that when time is short, the people in pubs don't go down to the
showroom, take new photos, have them developed and printed and then do
new paste-up for offset printing.  They grab what they have and massage
the hell out of it--and that's usually where mistakes creep in.  For
example, by the two newbies who were very proud of reversing a
right-side three-quarter view of a bus for some advertising literature
because they thought it fit better with the text... until someone
pointed out that the entrance and exit doors opened to the street, not
the curb, and that we weren't trying to sell buses to Great Britain.... :)

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....