[TR] TR4 turn signal & OD switch positions

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Fri Jun 8 02:28:40 MDT 2018

On 6/7/2018 7:35 PM, Sherman D Taffel wrote:

> Hi Guys! Probably diagram  was for RHD cars!  Never changed for LHD cars!

Having done technical publications for well more than a decade, that's
probably not exactly what happened.  The photo shows LHD, not RHD, but,
maybe the RHD negative was reversed to save time, and something was then
lost when translating the positions of all the controls.   After all,
this was done well before the days of digital imaging and
PhotoShop--even copiers were new and relatively rudimentary.  All
imaging was done through old-fashioned photography and manual paste-up
transferred to rotogravure or offset printing.

The truth is that the time of most in-house technical publications shops
is taken up with the most pressing changes, because, apart from the
aerospace industry, they're severely understaffed.  Stuff that
superficially looks okay gets a quick review and a pass.  Only when I
started running publications for a transit manufacturer did I realize
that the maintenance manuals hadn't been updated front page to back in a
dozen years, and that the books were riddled with errors.  I logged
untold unpaid hours of overtime fixing such problems and still didn't
catch them all.  The best I could do was triage--getting the most
important items fixed first.

That's the way it actually works--in large part, the customer is left to
figure out the missed details and adjust accordingly.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....