[TR] TR3 Alternator Conversion

TERRY SMITH terryrs at comcast.net
Wed Jul 18 17:11:23 MDT 2018

I'm likely in the minority here, but I question the need for an alternator conversion at all.  Now, I do realize that the generator doesn't keep up with stock electrics.  (Lucas:  Prince of Darkness, with the theme of "dim, flicker, dark."  My experience is, it's not as bad as all that.
What I've done, after having to recharge my battery from driving in deep fall with headlamps and heater going full for several days, is switch to LED for headlamps, turn signals, brakes, parking and instruments. So far the generator I re-installed after doing the alternator conversion, is keeping up rather nicely. The plus is, probably due to my own ignorance, I don't have to deal with alternator pully alignment issues that kept breaking the adjustment bar.
Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire