[TR] Overdrive Dial Indicator

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jan 9 09:32:51 MST 2018

> It appears that in order to adjust the TR3 Type A overdrive, I'll need to
> do it correctly.  Darn that anyway!  I think that somehow a dial indicator
> is inserted where the operating valve plunger goes.  Will be searching for
> videos how to do that.

Does that mean you've already tried doing it by the book?  The book method
just requires a 3/16" drill bit and no need to open the hydraulic system.
The dial indicator method is a backup when wear has made the book method
inaccurate.

> Meanwhile, any recommendations where to purchase a decent dial indicator
> for someone who's not likely to use it too often?

I'm reluctant to recommend any precision tool from Harbor Freight.  Their
quality control is pretty much non-existent (IMO), so it's pretty much a
crap shoot whether the unit you get works properly.  That said, the dial
indicator I got from them some years ago (mostly to get the mount that came
with it) seems to work well enough.  Keep in mind though that the mechanism
in any dial indicator is very delicate and must be protected from any shock
(like activating the OD solenoid with the indicator resting on the ball).
So the process is to get it mounted in place, note the reading (or turn the
pointer if you want), then hold the plunger up (via the knob on top) while
activating the solenoid.  Set the plunger down gently and make your second
reading (all without disturbing the mount of course).

-- Randall