[TR] coil electronic wiring

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Feb 5 21:25:59 MST 2018

> I'll confess to having this problem solved in a prior post by Randall.  In
> later messing with the coil and electronic ignition I disconnected the
> wires and also lost the email from him I thought I saved.
>
> Anyway.  I have a tr-3 which I switched to negative ground and also
> installed an alternator.  I have a crane xr 700 with the little electronic
> light which has been working fine for 2 yrs.
>
> there are two bundles of wires coming from the module.  One bundle of 3
> has yellow red and black wires.  The other bundle has gray white and
black.

The bundle with gray, white and black should go to a 3 pin Molex connector
(normally supplied with the unit) which in turn connects to the pickup
module inside the distributor.  Make sure the wire colors match across the
plug.

The red wire goes to the coil hot terminal (along with the white wire from
the ignition switch).  Yellow goes to coil negative, black goes to ground.

BTW, I believe the Crane instructions are wrong on one point: on British
coils with the terminals marked "CB" and "SW", the "CB" terminal should be
positive and the "SW" terminal should be negative.

-- Randall