[TR] TR3 Rear Oil "Seal"

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Dec 10 13:45:54 MST 2018

If you just want to service the bearings, I have found it possible to R&R the rear main cap, with the seal half still attached, without removing flywheel or crankshaft. That may depend on which flywheel you have, I've been told there is less room with the later flywheel.

But if you want to renew the seal, or install the Viton conversion, the crank has to come out so you can center the seal. It needs to be very close to the scroll, all the way around, without actually touching.

Note that there is a mistake in the workshop manual. One of the mandrel dimensions is wrong. The Viton kit comes with an updated mandrel, or I believe they will sell it separately.
-- Randall