[TR] Looking for suggestions on tools to use to top off Triumph transmissions

Dave Connitt dconnitt at fuse.net
Tue Aug 28 16:24:25 MDT 2018

Hi All,

I hope you have had a great 2018 driving season so far. I was lucky enough
to travel from Cincinnati, Ohio to the 2018 Kas Kastner race in Beaver, Pa.
myself which all totaled was about a 700 mile round trip. I had a great time
and the car was problem free.

 My question to the group is what types of tools to you use to top off your
transmission. Especially on the road? They all leak a bit and mine is no
different. What I am kind of concerned about is traveling on longer trips
and doing normal maintenance like checking the fluid level in the
transmission. I don’t have a access opening in my transmission tunnel right
now but I plan to address that issue and that kind of gets me to my second
question. But first, at the moment, to add transmission oil, I have to lift
the entire car up on jack stands, wait for the oil to center itself, then
unscrew the fill plug with a open end wrench. Not a solution for on the
road
 So, I was thinking about cutting a hole big enough for a socket
(6-point) or whatever will work on a ½” pipe plug, then use a 1 qt. oil can
with a pump to top off the transmission. I can fabricate a metal cover to
plug the hole.

What have you guys done?

Thanks,

Dave Connitt