[TR] aluminum radiator - part 2

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 28 06:04:27 MDT 2018

Electrolysis is always a concern; that's why you keep your anti-freeze up to
date and stronger concentration than required for SoCA weather.  It contains
chemicals to inhibit corrosion (among other things).  It's those chemicals
that wear out over time.

Higher pressure both raises the boiling point of the coolant; and improves
cooling efficiency.  But it also increases the stress on various components,
like hoses and the heater core.

When I bumped my TR3 up to 10 psi (4 psi is stock), I started blowing hoses
on a fairly regular basis.  It's wort noting that the actual pressure at
various points in the system may be quite a bit higher than the cap rating,
as the water pump develops quite a bit of dynamic pressure (aka head) to
force the coolant to move around the system.

I eventually dropped back to 7 psi, and found a better top hose (intended
for big trucks) from Gates.  Haven't blown one of them yet.

Unless you are having cooling problems, I would stick with the stock
pressure.  But with a nice fresh radiator, I'd say cooling problems indicate
something else wrong.  (In my case, it turned out the radiator itself was
the problem.)

-- Randall