[TR] Tr3a ignition redux...

David Templeton davidt at opentext.com
Sat Aug 18 16:30:37 MDT 2018

Good evening all

It is a lovely day in the neighborhood, ok not so much.  The '3 is to going but am closer.  Just got back from a week working in Europe and first things first. The intake manifold is coming off to have the gasket sealing applied.

Undoing all of the stud nuts on top, all good.  All tight and came off clean.

Now to the two middle lower anchor ones.  Hmmm, the one on the left was finger tight?!?!?!?  Crap.  Ok now the left, the socket doesn't fit, okay larger socket, it was easy as well.  Oh crap, crap!! Off it came and looking at it, split down the side ( image ) well that would not hold anything, now will it!!!

Okay, so I am replacing the nut?!?!?!?   Looking for the collective wisdom here....

  *   Do I replace the nut with another brass one from Moss etc? Another supplier
  *   Do I replace the nut with a standard steel ( stainless one? )?
  *   Do I replace all of the nuts, now suspect of the strength of the rest of the 60yr old nuts?

I am thinking it might be easier to simply replace all of the nuts with stainless...

David