[TR] Craftsman torque wrench

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 18:28:09 MDT 2018

DIY, the adjustment is simple and the process is not too complicated.
There should be a plastic cap on the handle end of your torque wrench.
Pull this off any you will find the adjust nut.  Tighten to increase the
amount of torque applied before the click, loosen to decrease.  Now to
calibrate, all you need is a known weight on a lever of known length.  I
use a 3' piece of heavy angle iron with a slot cut in it that is 1/2 wide.
Next put a weight on the other end.  10 pounds at 3 feet and your torque
wrench should click at 30ft-lbs. 20 pounds at 3' and your wrench should
click at 60 ft-lbs.  Just make sure the bar is horizontal, you need the
force of gravity to be pulling straight down.  The best practice is to
calibrate at the high end of the range your wrench is capable of.  This is
not a lab method and the results will be off a little based on the weight
of the bar and altitude at your location, etc, etc.  But it is close enough
for just about anything you are ever going to use it for.

--
= Never offend people with style when you   =