[TR] torque wrench question

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Aug 11 03:51:08 MDT 2018

> Uhm, that would be why English majors subscribe to this list....

Perhaps an example would help?

Let's say you want to torque your nut to 50 ftlb, your torque wrench
measures 26" overall and your crowfoot extension is 4" overall.

First we need the effective length of the torque wrench.  On mine, the
business end is about 1" diameter, while the hand grip extends about 2"
beyond the center of my hand.  So we subtract half of the head diameter
(0.5") and the 2" for the hand grip to get 23.5" effective length.

Now the effective length of the torque wrench plus crowfoot extension.
Assuming both ends of the crowfoot are around 1" diameter, it would extend
the center by about 3", or 26.5" overall.

Divide those two numbers to get the ratio.  23.5/26.5 = .89 (rounded to 2
digits)

Multiply the desired torque by the ratio. 50 * .89 = 44.5 ftlb.  Round that
to two digits, and set your wrench to 45 ftlb.

Hmm, well, perhaps not.  Reminds me of an old David Crosby line: "You see
just below the surface of the mud, there's more mud here."

-- Randall