[TR] pusher fan on TR6

Brian Kemp bk13 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 2 17:34:51 MDT 2018

Peter - I'd say leave it for now.  Just drive the car and prioritize the
most important stuff.  It may be beneficial if he gets stuck in freeway
traffic.

I have a 72 TR6 with just the stock fan.  I've had the overflow bottle
vent twice, both in 105 deg plus weather.

Once was driving up to the Palm Springs tramway.  I was stuck behind a
driver going too slow, so the engine was at a lower RPM without good air
flow.  I lost about 1/2 inch of coolant from the overflow bottle.

The other time was the drive a decade or so ago up to VTR at Portland,
OR.  It was 105+ driving up I-5 with the faster traffic. The temp gauge
was staying just above the upper dot at speed, but as soon as we pulled
of near Yreka and I lost airflow, it went up.  I poured some water down
the front of the radiator when we stopped and turned on the heater.
Lost a negligible amount of coolant from the overflow.

I came close at the Canadian border going to the All Triumph Drive In in
BC back in the 90's, but just turned on the heater and all was fine to
clear the crossing.

I think these might be the only three times since I got the car about
1994 that an electric fan would have helped with cooling.

Brian