[TR] TR3- frt. brake splash shields

Angelo Graham agraham at execulink.com
Thu Sep 7 12:12:41 MDT 2017

Hello List:

Just wondering how many of your TR3s have the front brake splash/dust
shields still intact? When I converted my TR2 to disc brakes, I did not
install the front shields, thinking they were another source of
potential rattles, etc. However, when looking at my front brakes because
I wasn't happy with the performance, noticed that the inside of the
front left rotor had a fine covering of oil. Have been trying to find
the source of the leak on the engine, thinking that the oil from the
leak has been picked up by the fan air stream and being blown on the
inside of the rotor. Not a solution, but the brake shield would have
prevented the rotor from being coated.

My timing chain cover is OK and not leaking and the front seal is dry. I
suspect the pan gasket at the front of the engine and keeping an eye on
that joint. Or, maybe the dip stick hole? The front left frame horn has
a deposit of oil on it, so still looking.

Thanks for any insights.

Angelo Graham