[TR] which to get? copper based or aluminum based anti seize

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Oct 25 01:22:19 MDT 2017

> any recommendation? copper based look to be twice as costly
>
> main use would be on splines for wire wheels.  and the odd bolt in the
> aluminum cylinder heads.

I have had much better luck with the copper based stuff.  I tried the
aluminum on the Stag wire wheels, and one of the knock-offs bound up so
badly that we had to work in shifts pounding on it to get it off.  The
splines seemed abnormally worn as well, for only having 15,000 miles or so
since new on them.  Not worn out, but visibly worn.

By contrast, the copper stuff has always worked for me, even in some pretty
nasty locations.  Anyone who has ever changed the rear springs on a TR2, 3
or 4 knows what a pain those pins are, but after coating them with copper
anti-seize, they slid right out with just finger pressure (!) almost 20
years later.

Works really good on exhaust parts, too.  Unfortunately, I can't report on
how well it works on wire wheels; the Stag got sidelined and I've never had
the wheels off again.

-- Randall