[TR] A cautionary tale

Ron L'Herault lherault at verizon.net
Sat Oct 21 20:30:36 MDT 2017

With the continued warm weather here in the North East USA it was a no
brainer to take the TR-6 out yesterday but the ride didn't end well.   While
traveling down a stretch of Rt. 95 between Foxboro and Attleboro, MA, my
daughter and I started to smell antifreeze and soon thereafter the temp
gauge rose rapidly.  I shut down the engine, coasted to within sight of an
exit and pulled off the highway.  It was easy to see that a heater hose had
come off its appointed pipe.*  I called for a flatbed (included in my
Hagerty Insurance- Yes!) and we waited.   When I got it home I discovered
that the clam had failed because the accelerator cross shaft had been
rubbing against it.  I knew I had replaced bushings a few years back (dang,
how many years was it?) and I had not noticed any odd behavior with the
linkage.  Soooo, in your under hood checks, don't forget to give that area a
close examination!

New bushing(s) are on the way.

* if I had had a screw driver with me I would have attempted to retighten
the clamp and walk off the highway in search of some H20, but would have
discovered then that the clamp had failed.  Clamps I happened to have in the
boot were too small.

Ron L