[TR] Transmissin and rear diff oil for a TR6

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 10:52:16 MDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 7:50 AM, robert rudolphi
<robertrudolphi at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I am getting ready to change the trans and diff oil in my 74 TR6. It has a J
> type overdrive. My question to the list is what is the best oil to use?
> Also, when draining the trans does it completely drain the OD? Anything to
> watch out for? This is the first time I have done this and want to get it
> right.

I originally put 30 weight non-detergent oil in the OD transmission,
as recommended by the rebuilder.  When I went to change it, though, I
went with the recommendation of the folks on this list and used
Redline MT-90.  It works very well.

When I rebuild the differential this winter, I'll add it to that as
well.  In the meantime, I've used GL-4 gear oil with the usual
results.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.