[TR] TR6 Brakes Update

Reihing, Randall S. Randall.Reihing at utoledo.edu
Fri Oct 20 04:36:00 MDT 2017

Those two small, flathead drum screws represent a lot of additional machining: Drilling and countersinking the drums then drilling and tapping the threads for the screws that were manufactured on a screw machine to produce those little flat head screws, and then assembling the drums to the backing plate, or hub. For transport, would not a simple metal band and tensioner, like shipping departments have used for decades, be equally effective and work much faster, with far fewer steps, involving no machinery and machining, at a fraction of the cost of those screws? I recently rebuilt the rear brake assemblies on my 1959 TR3A and found those little screws useful to hold the drum in place while the wheel was mounted. Without them the drum kept tilting at an angle that made it more difficult to mount the wheels. Would the lack of those screws make changing a tire/wheel out on the highway somewhere more difficult? Probably. From a mass manufacturing point of view, It does seem like expensive overkill but it does make mounting the wheels a little easier.

Randall Reihing