[TR] Regarding a bolt not listed in the Standard Triumph Hardware Catalog

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Wed Oct 18 03:48:49 MDT 2017

For further in-built confusion as a little ‘light relief’ for enthusiasts to puzzle out some 40 odd years later, there was another element in hardware identification.

At about this time, (late 60’s/early 70’s) someone in the dark recesses of British Somewhere Leyland decided it would be an excellent plan to standardise all fastener hardware reference numbers into one Master Nuts and Bolts Bible. Being a ‘car’ person and not thinking of wider implications, his Lords and Masters gave him the go ahead for this publication to be created and to include all fasteners for the BL truck, earthmoving, bus and agricultural products as well. It was rumoured the person concerned hadn’t considered that additional requirement. I’m reliably informed they never did sort it out and as a ‘short term’ measure agreed that it would be fine to ‘borrow’ ref numbers from other companies in the group to overcome hurdles. I was one of the two personal assistants to BL’s CEO at the time and this re-cataloguing exercise for hardware caused more problems in production and parts supply than the collective warranty and build quality problems for the Austin and Morris Marina by far😊

Oh happy days…

Jonmac